Master of Business Administration
MBA (2 year program) for
- Business Graduates and Managers to excel in combination of general management, leadership and functional specialization
- Engineers and Scientists, Doctors, Social Scientists, Lawyers, and professional graduates from Liberal Arts disciplines etc. who choose a general management education over a strong functional specialization.
The FAST MBA is a 2 year degree program which comprises of 60 credit hours for those with 16 years of education (Such as BBA, BS (Accounting & Finance), MA (Economics), Engineers, Scientist, Doctors, Social scientists, Lawyers and professional graduates from Liberal Arts disciplines etc). It delivers an in-depth understanding of the dynamics of management practices, and a deeper appreciation of the implications of a rapidly globalizing work environment on businesses. It is designed with the flexibility to cater for the needs of those who have their undergraduate degree in business related subjects, as well as for those who are coming from other disciplines and are making a conversion to the business and management discipline by doing an MBA.
There are three distinguishing features of the FAST MBA. First, in line with the vision and mission of the business school, the MBA is designed to keep a balance between local, regional and global knowledge, through integration of local and international teaching material, and experiential learning in the local industry and organisations. Second, in line with the culture and the traditions of FAST, the FAST MBA focuses on technology integration in its courses. Third, the enhanced MBA is designed to integrate cases in many of its level five and six courses, thus creating a balance between theoretical knowledge and its application on the one hand, and enhancing the technical as well as the analytical skills of the students on the other hand.
Award of Degree
For the award of MBA degree, a student must have:
- Passed courses totaling at least 60 credit hours (through exemptions and/or by taking up a course), including all those courses which have been specified as core courses.
- Obtained a CGPA of at least 2.5
A degree earned from a recognized university after 16 years of education with at least 60% marks or a CGPA of at least 2.0 (on a scale of 4.0).
- Past Academic Record (Masters and/ or Bachelors Degree): 40%
- Performance in NU Subject Admission Test: 60%
Specialization in MBA:
The FAST MBA degree does not state any specialization. However, elective courses are offered in five specializations in various campuses of FAST School of Management. The five specialization areas are:
- Data Analytics
- Textile Management
The FAST MBA is a 2 year degree program which comprises of 60 credit hours for those with 16 years of education. The minimum duration for completing the FAST MBA degree is 1 ½ years, only applicable for those who have a first degree in business or related disciplines, and secure an exemption of 30 credit hours.
Exemption of CoursesGraduates with business degrees, equivalent to 16 years of education, such as Bachelors of Business Administration, BS Accounting and Finance, Masters in Commerce etc. may get up to 30 credit hours of exemptions, as permitted by the Higher Education Commission of Pakistan. The courses which may be exempted have an asterisk (*) next to them and are presented in bold italic in the scheme of study.
Guidelines for FAST MBA
- The FAST MBA is a 2 years’ degree which comprises of 60 credit hours for those with 16 years of education.
- The minimum duration for completing the FAST MBA degree is 1½ years, which is only applicable for those who have a first degree in business or related areas, and who have been able to secure an exemption of 30 credit hours.
- The maximum duration for completing the FAST MBA degree is 4 years.
- A student may register for a minimum of 6 and a max. of 15 credit hours in a semester; the fee is charged per credit hour. However, a student must keep the maximum duration of the degree program in perspective when registering for courses in each semester.
- The students may freely choose any of the core courses in a semester, provided they have completed the pre-requisites of those courses. The students are advised to choose lower level courses, if offered in a semester, before choosing a high level course.
- A student cannot take an elective course before completing all level 4 courses. The students must also complete all core courses of their area of specialization before choosing any elective in that area.
- The university will not offer all the courses in every semester; the students are responsible to manage their selection of courses, so that they can complete their degree in time.
- A student may complete the degree by completing a 3 credit or a 6 credit hours’ project or dissertation. In case of a 6 credit hours the project or dissertation will replace an elective.
- A student may register in MBA Project I/Dissertation I only after completing all level 4, and after taking the Research Methods course. For a student to register in MBA Project/Dissertation I/II, his/her CGPA should be greater than 2.5.
Note 1: Registration in “MS Thesis - I” is allowed provided the student has:
- 30 credits (including exemptions)
- Passed the “Advanced Research Methods” course
- CGPA is equal to or more than 2.5