PhD (Software Engineering)
The PhD program requires candidates to undertake a number of graduate level courses, pass a qualifying examination, and then carry out research in a chosen area. The candidates are required to publish research papers in journals of international repute.Program Objectives
- Impart in depth knowledge and application of methodology to investigate original research problems through a systematic and focused approach
- Enable students to produce publishable research for journals and conferences of international repute
- Enable students to conduct independent research
- Students will be able to exhibit specialized knowledge and ability to use appropriate research methodology in the relevant field of study
- Students will be able to conduct systematic and focused research
- Students will be able to publish research papers in journals and conferences of international repute
- Students will be able to conduct and supervise independent research and can produce knowledge
PhD coursework comprises 6 courses (total 18 credit hours). A non-credit course “SS 310 Research Methodology” must also be passed; unless already passed during MS coursework.Comprehensive Examination
The student becomes eligible to appear in the Comprehensive Examination after passing the PhD coursework with a minimum CGPA of 3.0. This exam must be passed within two years of admission, failing which the admission shall be cancelled.
The student can start work on PhD thesis only after
- Passing the Comprehensive Exam, AND
- Acceptance of synopsis by the Graduate Studies Committee.
The PhD Dissertation must contain original research work.Plagiarism Test
The Plagiarism Test shall be conducted on the Dissertation before its submission to foreign experts.Evaluation by TWO Foreign Experts
The PhD Dissertation shall be evaluated by at least two PhD experts from technologically/ academically advanced foreign countries.Local Expert Evaluation
If the foreign evaluators recommend that the work is acceptable for award of PhD, then a local committee, comprising two local experts and an internal evaluator, is constituted. The thesis is sent to all three members of this committee.Open Defence
After receiving positive comments from the local experts, the student is expected to defend his/her work before this Committee. The student will be declared successful after the local Committee approves the work.Research Paper
Publication of at least one research paper in an HEC approved “W” or “X” category journal is a requirement for the award of PhD degree.