Department of Electrical Engineering
Dr. Muhammad Jafar is a seasoned professional with specialized expertise in electrical power engineering and an experience spanning over two decades. He holds a PhD in electrical power engineering and his areas of expertise include integration of renewable energy into the power systems, conversion of renewable energy to electrical form, flexible AC transmission systems (FACTS) technology, power quality, and all topics involving power electronics. Dr. Jafar holds industrial and academic experience both in Pakistan and abroad. He has worked in manufacturing, project management, research, and consultancy sectors in the electrical engineering industry. During his stay abroad, he was considered one of the few leading authorities in high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission in Europe.
He also holds teaching and research experience in Pakistan and Norway having taught at COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Wah Cantt. and Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway. He has taught courses such as electric circuits, control systems, electrical machines, and power systems.
Dr. Jafar’s research interests include HVDC grids, microgrids, static compensators, and renewable energy converters.
- S. Sanchez, E. Tedeschi, J. Silva, M. Jafar, A. Marichalar, "Smart load management of water injection systems in offshore oil and gas platforms integrating wind power", IET Renewable Power Generation, 2017, DOI: 10.1049/iet-rpg.2016.0989, IET Digital Library, http://digital-library.theiet.org/content/journals/10.1049/iet-rpg.2016.0989
- I. Konstantelos, D. Pudjianto, G. Strbac, J. D. Decker, P. Joseph, A. Flament, P. Kreutzkamp, F. Genoese, L. Rehfeldt, A. Wallasch, G. Gerdes, M. Jafar, Y. Yang, N. Tidemand, J. Jansen, F. Nieuwenhout, A. Welle, K. Veum, “Integrated North Sea grids: The costs, the benefits and their distribution between countries”, Energy Policy, Volume 101, February 2017, Pages 28-41
- J. Silva, M. Jafar, A. Marichalar, E. Tedeschi, “Integration of Wind Power to Supply Water Injection Systems as Controllable Loads in Offshore Oil and Gas Facilities”, Offshore Energy and Storage Symposium, Malta, July 2016
- S. Khan, J. A. Suul, E. Tedeschi and M. Jafar, “Blocking capability for Switching Function and Average Models of Modular Multilevel Converters”, 16th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC 2016), Florence, Italy, 7-10 June, 2016.
- A. Flament, P. Joseph; G. Gerdes, L. Rehfeldt, A. Behrens, A. Dimitrova, F. Genoese, I. Gajic, M. Jafar, N. Tidemand, Y. Yang, J. Jansen, F. Nieuwenhout, K. Veum, I. Konstantelos, D. Pudjianto, G. Strbac, "Final Report of the NorthSeaGrid Project", available online "http://northseagrid.info/publications/final-report-northseagrid-project", March 2015
- M. Jafar, Y. Yang, A. Yanushkevich, "Low Frequency AC Transmission for Grid Integration of Offshore Wind Power", 13th International Workshop on Large-Scale Integration of Wind Power into Power Systems as well as on Transmission Networks for Offshore Wind Farms, Berlin, November 2014
- T. Langeland, M. Jafar, Y. Yang, L. M. Hytten, E. Hillberg, A. Dernfalk, "Technology Qualification of Offshore HVDC Systems", CIGRE 2014 Session, Paris, August 2014
- M. Jafar, Y. Yang, G. W. Dekker, T. Langeland, M. Molinas, "The Gate-Controlled Series Capacitor for Reactive Compensation of Line-Commutated HVDC", 12th International Workshop on Large-Scale Integration of Wind Power into Power Systems as well as on Transmission Networks for Offshore Wind Farms, October 2013
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, T. Isobe, R. Shimada, "Transformer-Less Series Reactive/Harmonic Compensation of Line-Commutated HVDC for Offshore Wind Power Integration", IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. PP, no.99, pp.1,1, 0, July 2013
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "A Transformerless Series Reactive/Harmonic Compensator for Line-Commutated HVDC for Grid Integration of Offshore Wind Power", IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.60, no.6, pp.2410,2419, June 2013
- M. Jafar, "Transformer-Less Series Compensation of Line-Commutated Converters for Integration of Offshore Wind Power", [Thesis]. NTNU: Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet Trondheim; 2013. Doctoral Theses at NTNU, 2013:126
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "Transformer-less series voltage injection for reactive power compensation of line-commutated HVDC", 2012 15th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE/PEMC), pp.DS3b.15-1, DS3b.15-5, 4-6 Sept. 2012
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, P. Tenti, "Application of conservative power theory for active power filtering of line-commutated HVDC for offshore wind power", 2011 IEEE Trondheim PowerTech, pp.1,8, 19-23 June 2011
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "A series injection strategy for reactive power compensation of line commutated HVDC for offshore wind power", 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), July 2010
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "Forced commutation through series voltage injection for reactive power reduction of line commutated HVDC converter terminal", 2010 International Power Electronics Conference (IPEC), vol., no., pp.1788,1793, 21-24 June 2010
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "Ride-through enhancement of line-commutated HVDC link for large offshore wind parks", 35th Annual Conference of IEEE Industrial Electronics, 2009. IECON 09. pp.782,787, 3-5 Nov. 2009
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "Improvement in Reactive Power Consumption of Line Commutated HVDC Converters for Integration of Offshore Wind-Power", 8th International Workshop on Large-Scale Integration of Wind Power into Power Systems as well as on Transmission Networks for Offshore Wind Farms, October 2009
- M. Jafar, M. Molinas, "Effects and mitigation of post-fault commutation failures in line-commutated HVDC transmission system", IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, 2009. ISIE 2009. pp.81,85, 5-8 July 2009
Field of Interest:
- Modular Multilevel Converters
- Series Compensation
- Power Quality
- Renewable integration
- MSc(Electrical Power Engineering), University of Engineering and Technology, Taxila, Pakistan (2008)
- BSc(Electrical Power Engineering), NWFP University of Engineering and Technology, Peshawar, Pakistan (1997)