Department of Electrical Engineering
Rashad Ramzan (S’04–M’09–SM’11) received the B.Sc. degree from the University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan, the M.Sc. degree from the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, and the Ph.D. degree from Linkoping University, Linkoping, Sweden, in 1994, 2003, and 2009, respectively, all in electronics engineering. He has designed SMPS, low noise electronics, digital ASICS, RFICs, and cryogenically cooled electronics. He has been involved in research and development throughout his professional carrier. He has authored over 60 journals, US patents, and conference papers. One of his designed LNA was published in ISSCC 2007. His current research interests include software defined radio hardware, RFICs, DFT circuits for RFICs, LNAs, low power biomedical circuits, and microwave sensors and circuits. He was a recipient of the two Best Paper Awards. He is a Reviewer for several IEEE publications.
RF Circuits, Signal Integrity Analysis, Analog & Mixed Circuit IC Design, VLSI Design, RF IC Design, Microwave Sensors, Energy Tunneling, Bio-Medical Electronics, and Low Power Circuits.
- Ramzan, A. Beg, N. Bastaki, “Temperature Monitoring of Subject Bodies using Wireless Energy Transfer” Patent Application No: 14695713; 24 April, 2015, US Patent Office.
- Ramzan, O. Sidiqui, A. Beg, O. Ramahi, “Dielectric Constant Detection Method and Device Using Anomalous Phase Dispersion” Patent Application No 14936738; 06 NOV, 2015, US Patent Office
- Ramzan, O. Sidiqui, A. Beg, “Printed Circuit Board Structure and Method of Manufacturing using Wideband Microstrip Lines” Patent Application No 14943938; 17 NOV, 2015, US Patent Office.
- Ramzan, M. Amin, O. Siddiqui, N. Bastaki, “Microstrip Circuits Exhibiting Electromagnetically Induced Transparency and Fano Resonance” Patent Application No 15420061; 30 JAN, 2017, US Patent Office.
- Ramzan, M. Amin, O. Siddiqui, N. Bastaki, “Microstrip Fano Resonator Switch” Patent Application No 15425997; 06 FEB, 2017, US Patent Office.
- Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, N. Bastaki, “Fuel Quality Sensor” US Patent Application No 15812693; 14 NOV, 2017, US Patent Office.
- Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, M. Amin, N.Bastaki, “Plant Moisture Sensor” Patent Application No 15846051; 18 DEC, 2017, US Patent Office.
- Ramzan, M.Omar, O.Siddiqui. M. Amin, N. Bastaki and T. Ksiksi, “Electromagnetically Induced Absorption in the Near-Field of Microwave Radiative Elements with Application to Foliage Moisture Sensing” doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2884224 , IEEE Access (JCR IF 3.557)
- Ramzan, Muhammad Omar, and Omar Siddiqui. “A Review of the Energy-Tunneling Based Sensors." Accepted in IEEE Microwave Magazine, will appear in print Aug, 2019. (JCR IF 3.02)
- Omar Siddiqui, Ramzan, “Lorentz Reflect-Phase Detector for Dielectric and Moisture Sensing" IEEE Sensors Journal, DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2018.2869401. Vol.18, Issue 22, Page. 9236-9242, 15 Nov, 2018. (JCR IF 2.617)
- Amin, R. Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, “Slow Wave Applications of Electromagnetically Induced Transparency in Microstrip Resonator”, Nature Scientific Reports, doi:10.1038/s41598-018-24177-6, Report No: 6129, 05 February 2018, (JCR IF 5.28)
- Arshad, R. Ramzan “50–830MHz Noise and Distortion Canceling CMOS Low Noise Amplifier", ELSVIER Integration, The VLSI Journal, DOI: 10.1016/j.vlsi.2017.07.006, Vol.60, pp. 63-73, January 2018. (JCR IF 0.97)
- Omar, R. Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, “Energy Tunneling Behavior in Geometrically Separated Wave Guides”, Journal of Advanced Electromagnetics, DOI: 10.7716/aem.v6i3, Vol. 6, Issue: 3, October, 2017.
- Amin, R. Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, “Fano Resonance Based Ultra High-Contrast Electromagnetic Switch”, American Institute of Physics (AIP), Applied Physics Letters, DOI: 10.1063/1.4982725, Vol. 110, Issue: 18, May 2017. (JCR IF 3.41)
- Ramzan, Muhammad Omar, Omar Siddiqui. "Energy-Tunneling Dielectric Sensor Based on Substrate Integrated Waveguides." IEEE Sensors Journal, DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2016.2641340, Dec 2016. (JCR IF 2.617)
- Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, M. Waseem, OM. Ramahi, “A Complex Permittivity Extraction Method Based on Anomalous Dispersion”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, DOI: 10.1109/TMTT.2016.2605664, Online September 2016. (JCR IF 2.28)
- Siddiqui, R. Ramzan, M. Amin, OM. Ramahi, “A Non-Invasive Phase Sensor for Permittivity and Moisture Estimation Based on Anomalous Dispersion”, Nature Scientific Reports, DOI: 10.1038/srep28626, online June, 2016. (JCR IF 5.28)
- Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, A. Nauroze, O. M. Ramahi, "A Microstrip Probe Based On Electromagnetic Energy Tunneling for Extremely Small and Arbitrarily Shaped Dielectric Samples," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, DOI: 10.1109/LAWP.2015.2412254, Vol. 14, pp. 1554-1556, Aug 2015. (JCR IF 1.751)
- Ramzan, J. Dabrowski, "RF Calibration of On-Chip DfT Chain by DC Stimuli and Statistical Multivariate Regression Technique" ELSVIER Integration, The VLSI Journal, DOI: 10.1016/j.vlsi.2014.11.006, Vol. 49, pp. 14-21, March 2015. (JCR IF 0.97)
- Ramzan, F. Zafar, “High-Efficiency Fully CMOS VCO Rectifier for Microwatt Resonant Wireless Power Transfer”, IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems-II, DOI: 10.1109/TCSII.2014.2386262, Vol.62, Issue: 2, pp. 134–138, Feb 2015. (JCR IF 1.13)
- Arshad, R. Ramzan, M. Khurram, “A sub-10mW, Noise Cancelling, Wideband LNA for UWB Applications” ELSVIER International Journal of Electronics and Communications, DOI: 10.1016/j.aeue.2014.08.002, Vol. 69, Issue: 1, pp. 109–118, Jan 2015. (JCR IF 0.75)
- Arshad, F. Zafar, R. Ramzan, "Wideband and multiband CMOS LNAs: State-of-the-art and future prospects", ELSVIER Microelectronics Journal, DOI: 10.1016/j.mejo.2013.04.011, Vol. 44, Issue:9, pp. 774–786, Sept 2013. (JCR IF 0.920)
- Ramzan, F. Zafar, “Figure of Merit for Narrowband, Wideband and Multiband LNAs” Taylor & Francis, International Journal of Electronics, DOI:10.1080/00207217.2012.692635, Vol. 99, Issue:11, pp. 1603–1610, Jun 2012. (JCR IF 0.414)
- Ahsan, C. Svensson, R. Ramzan, J. Dabrowski, A. Ouacha, C.Samuelsson, “A 1.1 V 6.2 mW, wideband RF front-end for 0 dBm blocker tolerant receivers in 90 nm CMOS”, Springer Journal of Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, DOI: 10.1007/s10470-011-9667-9, Vol. 70, Issue: 1, pp. 79–90, Jan 2012. (JCR IF 0.417)
- Ramzan, J. Fritzin, J. Dabrowski, C. Svensson, “Wideband Low Reflection Transmission Lines for Bare Chip on Multilayer PCB”, Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) Journal, DOI: 10.4218/etrij.11.0110.0386, Vol. 33, Issue:3, pp. 335–343, Jun 2011. (JCR IF 1.1)
- Ramzan, N. Ahsan, J. Dabrowski, C. Svensson “On-Chip Stimulus Generator for Gain, Linearity, and Blocking Profile Test of Wideband RF Front Ends”, IEEE Transactions on Measurement and Instrumentation, DOI: 10.1109/TIM.2009.2036454, Vol. 59, Issue: 11, pp. 2870-2876, Nov 2010. (JCR IF 1.808)
- Dabrowski, R. Ramzan, “Built-in Loopback Test for IC RF Transceivers”, IEEE Transaction on Very Large Scale Integrated Systems (TVLSI), DOI: 10.1109/TVLSI.2009.2019085, Vol. 18, pp. 933–946, Jun 2010. (JCR IF1.245)
- Ramzan, S. Andersson, J. Dabrowski, C. Svensson, “Multiband RF Sampling Receiver Front-End with On-Chip Testability in 0.13µm CMOS”, Springer Journal of Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, DOI: 10.1007/s10470-009-9286-x, Vol. 61, Issue:2, pp. 115–127, Nov 2009. (JCR IF0.417)
- Ramzan, J. Dabraowski, “CMOS blocks for on-chip RF test”, Springer Journal of Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, D.O.I: 10.1007/s10470-006-9615-2, Vol. 49, Issue: 2, pp. 151-160, Nov 2006. (JCR IF 0.417)
Peer Reviewed Selected Conference Publications
- Arshad, A. Beg, R. Ramzan “A 2.6 mW Single-Ended Positive Feedback LNA”, International Symposium on Low Power Electronics and Design (ISLPED), Seattle, WA, USA July 23–25, 2018.
- Omar, M. Amin, R. Ramzan, and O. Siddiqui,” A New Class of High Frequency Electronically Tunable Filters”, 10th IEEE International Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ELECO), Bursa, Turkey, 30 NOV - 02 DEC, 2017.
- Omar, R. Ramzan, and O. Siddiqui. "Energy tunneling in wire-loaded in substrate integrated waveguide." IEEE Electronic Devices, Systems and Applications (ICEDSA), DOI: 10.1109/ICEDSA.2016.7818514, 2016.
- Ali, R. Ramzan, S. Azam, "High efficiency 88–108MHz, 25W class-E PA for transmitters in smart cities," 2017 International Conference on Electrical and Computing Technologies and Applications (ICECTA), RAK, UAE, 21-23 Nov.2017,
- Siddiqui, R. Ramzan M. Omar, “Phase Sensing - A Novel Material Characterization Method”, IEEE International Conference on Electrical and Computing Technologies and Applications (CECTA), RAK, 21-23 Nov.2017.
- Omar, R. Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, “Energy Tunneling Behavior in Geometrically Separated Wave Guides”, The 7th International Conference on Metamaterials, photonics crystals and plasmonics (META). SPAIN Malaga, Spain, 25-28 July, 2016.
- Shah, R. Ramzan, O. Siddiqui, “Exploring the Temporal Aspect of Energy-Tunneling in a Wire-Loaded Microstrip Cavity”, 4th Advanced Electromagnetics Symposium (AES), Malaga, Spain, 25-28 July, 2016.
- Arshad, R. Ramzan, Q. Wahab “Wideband Common Gate LNA with Novel Input Matching Technique”, DOI: 10.1109/MOCAST.2016.7495103IEEE International Conference on Modern Circuits and Systems Technologies (MOCAST), Thessaloniki, Greece, 12-14 May, 2016.
- Beg, R. Ramzan, A. Elchouemi, “Optimization of 22 nm Logic Gates for Power-and-Noise-Margin and Energy-and-Noise-Margin”, Proceedings on the International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ICAI), pp. 314-318, ISBN: 1-60132-438-3, Jan.2016.
- Ksiksi, S. Al Shehhi and R. Ramzan, "Intelligent Traffic Alert System for Smart Cities," DOI:10.1109/SmartCity.2015.65, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Smart City (Smart City), Chengdu, pp. 165-169, 19-21 Dec, 2015.
- Arshad, R. Ramzan, A.Beg, N. Bastaki., “2.5nW Subthreshold VCO based CMOS Temperature Sensor “International Conference on Sensors Engineering and Electronics Instrumental Advances (SEIA' 2015), Dubai, UAE, 21-22 Nov, 2015.
- Arshad, R. Ramzan, A. Beg, N. Bastaki, “Comparison and design of VCOs for ultra-low power CMOS temperature sensors”, DOI: 10.1109/ICCSPA.2015.7081297, IEEE International Conference on Communications, Signal Processing, and their Applications (ICCSPA), Sharjah, UAE, pp. 1-4, 17-19 Feb. 2015.
- Arshad, R. Ramzan, F. Zafar and Q. Wahab, "Highly linear inductively degenerated 0.13μm CMOS LNA using FDC technique," doi: 10.1109/APCCAS.2014.7032760, IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Circuits and Systems (APCCAS), Ishigaki, Japan, pp. 225-228. 17-20 Nov. 2014.
- Alneyadi, M. Alkaabi, S. Alketbi, S. Hajraf, R. Ramzan, "4GHz WLAN RF Energy Harvester for Passive Indoor Sensor Nodes", DOI: 10.1109/SMELEC.2014.6920900 IEEE 11th International Conference on Semiconductor Electronics (ICSE), pp. 471-474, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 27-29 Aug, 2014.
- Sultan, R. Ramzan, D. Wristers, "Design Layout Optimization in the Presence of Proximity-Dependent Stress Effects", DOI: 10.1109/ICICDT.2014.6838594, IEEE International Conference on Integrated Circuit Design and Technology (ICICTD), pp. 1-4, Austin, Texas, USA, 28-30 May, 2014.
- Siddiqui, R. Ramzan, O. M. Ramahi, "Metamaterial-Inspired Dielectric Sensor Applications", International Conference on Advances in Engineering Materials, Sharjah, UAE, 18-20 Mar, 2014.
- S. Bano,R. Ramzan, “COTS Based Multichannel FM receiver and Recorder using SDR Concept" DOI: 10.1109/ICECS.2013.6815392, IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS), pp. 213-216, Abu-Dhabi, UAE, 8-11 Dec, 2013.
- Siddiqui, A. Nauroze,R. Ramzan, and O. M. Ramahi, “Tunneling of Electromagnetic Energy through Wires in Guided Media,” DOI: 10.1109/APS.2013.6711344, IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI), pp. 1370-1371, Florida, USA, 7-12 Jul, 2013.
- Nauroze, O. Siddiqui, R. Ramzan, and O. M. Ramahi, “Dielectric Sensing based on Energy Tunneling in Wire-loaded Microstrip Cavities”, IEEE International Conference on Metamaterials, Photonic Crystals and Plasmonics, Sharjah, UAE, 18-22 Mar, 2013.
- Waseem, A. Javed, R. Ramzan, and M. Farooq, "Using evolutionary algorithms for ECG Arrhythmia detection and classification", DOI: 10.1109/ICNC.2011.6022596, Proc. ICNC, Pg.2386-2390, 2011.
- Zafar, H. Abid, J. Ahmed, H. Raza, R. Ramzan, and Q. Wahab, “Design of a Highly Linear 900MHz Single Ended LNA in 0.35µm CMOS” DOI: 10.1109/STUDENT.2010.5686993, IEEE Conference on Sustainable Utilization and Development in Engineering and Technology (STUDENT), pp. 127-130, UTAR, Malaysia, 20-21 Nov, 2010.
- Ramzan, N. Ahsan, J. Dabrowski, and C. Svensson “A 0.5-6GHz Low Gain Linear RF Front-End in 90nm CMOS”,IEEE Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems Conference (MIXDES), Poland, pp. 168-171, 23-26 Jun, 2010.
- Ramzan,J. Dabrowski “On-chip Calibration of RF Detectors by DC Stimuli and artificial neural networks”, DOI: 10.1109/RFIC.2008.4561502, IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC) Symposium, pp. 571-574, Atlanta Georgia, USA, 15-17 Jun, 2008.
- Ramzan, J. Dabrowski “Boosting SER Test for RF Transceivers by Simple DSP Technique”,DOI: 10.1109/DATE.2007.364680, IEEE Design Automation and Test in Europe Conference (DATE 2007), pp. 1-6, Acropolis, Nice, France, 16-20 Apr, 2007.
- Ramzan, S. Andersson, J. Dabrowski, C. Svensson “A 1.4V 25mW Inductorless Wideband LNA in 0.13μm CMOS”,DOI: 10.1109/ISSCC.2007.373475, IEEE International Solid State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), pp. 424-613, San Francisco, California, USA, 11-15 Feb, 2007.
- Andersson, R. Ramzan,J. Dabrowski, C. Svensson, "Multiband direct RF-sampling receiver front-end for WLAN in 0.13 μm CMOS", DOI: 10.1109/ECCTD.2007.4529563, 18th IEEE European Conference on Circuit Theory & Design (ECCTD), pp. 168-171, 27-30 Aug, 2007.
- Dabrowski,R. Ramzan “Offset Loopback Test for IC RF Transceivers”, DOI: 10.1109/MIXDES.2006.1706647, IEEE Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits & Systems Conference (MIXDES), pp. 583-586, Gdynia, Poland, 22-24 Jun, 2006.
- Ramzan, L. Zou, J. Dabrowski, "LNA Design for on-Chip RF Test", DOI: 10.1109/ISCAS.2006.1693564, IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 472-476, Island of Kos, Greece,21-24 May, 2006.
- Ramzan, J. Dabrowski, “CMOS blocks for on-chip RF test”,Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems Conference (MIXDES), Krakow, Poland, pp. 403-408, 22-24 Jun, 2005.
- Ramzan, J. Dabrowski, “Wideband MCML basic cells in 0.35 um CMOS”,IEEE Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems Conference (MIXDES), Krakow, Poland, pp. 227-231, 22-24 Jun, 2005.
- Ph.D(Electronic Devices), Linkopings University, Sweden (2009)
- M.S(Electronics Engineering), Royal Institute of Technology Stockholm, Sweden (2003)
- B.S(Electrical Engineering), UET, Lahore, Pakistan (1993)